On January 20th, 2020, the 6,000th article was added to the SuccuWiki!
Answers.com - Incubus
For other uses of the word Incubus, see Incubus (disambiguation).
From Late Latin incubus, from Latin incubo (“nightmare, one who lies down on the sleeper”), from incubāre (“to lie upon, to hatch”), from in- (“on”) + cubāre (“to lie”).
- n., pl. -bus·es or -bi (-bī').
- 1. An evil spirit supposed to descend upon and have sexual intercourse with women as they sleep.
- 2. A nightmare.
- 3. An oppressive or nightmarish burden.
- Middle English, from Late Latin, alteration of Latin incubō, from incubāre, to lie down on.
- (ĭn'kyə-bəs, ĭng'-) pronunciation