On July 18th, 2016, the 4,000th article was added to the SuccuWiki!
Cover of Kagetsu Tohya
|Release date(s)||August 2001|
|Genre(s)||Fantasy, Mystery, Suspense, Visual Novel, Eroge, Dojin|
Kagetsu Tohya (歌月十夜 Kagetsu Tōya , lit. Ten Nights of the Singing Moon) is Type-Moon's sequel to their earlier dojin visual novel game, Tsukihime, released in August 2001. There is no official release in English but a community supported English patch is available (based upon the open source ONScripter-EN visual novel engine). In this game, the character Len is described as a Succubus familiar.
- Name: Kagetsu Tohya
- Genre: Fantasy, Mystery, Suspense, Visual Novel, Eroge, Dojin
- Developer: Type-Moon
- Publisher: Type-Moon
- Rating: Ages 18 and over
- Platforms: IBM PC compatible - NScripter engine
- Released: August 2001
Kagetsu Tohya consists of "Twilight Glass Moon, Fairy Tale Princess", the long main story with many branches, and several shorter side stories that are unlocked one after another after related events in the main story have been read. Ten of these side stories are combined as "Ten Nights of Dream".
Twilight Grass Moon, Fairy Tale Princess
One year after the events of Tsukihime (presumably from the "Good Ending" of Arcueid path, as none of the characters are dead), half of July 2001, Shiki is a victim of an accident. After this accident, Shiki awakens into a strange dream wherein he repeats the same day over and over. There are infinitely many endings to the day, but it always begins anew after each day. Eventually, Shiki discovers that he must find Ren, the creator of the dream, if he wishes to escape.
The gameplay is much more dynamic than in Tsukihime. It uses a vastly different system in which the player goes through each of Shiki's "days" in the dream. The number of choices presented to the player in Kagetsu Tohya is also significantly larger than in Tsukihime. Also, due to the plot structure, the timeframe of Kagetsu Tohya is not linear like Tsukihime, but circular; that is, after completing one "day" in Shiki's dream, your status is automatically saved and you have to play the same "day" again, but with different choices. The days do not progress; rather, every time a day is completed, what you have accomplished in that day is saved by the computer. Eventually, you will come across the ending for the game after accomplishing everything that comes before it.
Ten Nights of Dream
The first seven of these stories were written by Kinoko Nasu like the rest of Kagetsu Tohya, while the last three are contribution works by others, essentially fanfiction. It is unknown if any of these stories are to be considered canon. In fact, some are obviously NOT canon, such as Imogirisou and Ciel-Sensei. It is likely, however, that the background information is to be considered canon. (Such as Nanako-chan and Arihiko's pasts, along with the explanations for certain plot holes in Ciel-sensei, such as how Chaos and Arcueid got to Japan).
- Good luck, Ciel-sensei
- Ciel teaches the rest of the cast in her role as Ciel-sensei from Tsukihime. The story is mainly a comedy story, reflecting on parts of the series in the form of questions. It also explains plotholes as well.
- A Story for the Evening
- Akiha solves a mystery in her boarding school. This story is a sequel to her true ending in Tsukihime. An urban legend around school involves placing curses and an old mailbox. Tsukasa, another student at the school, placed a curse on Akiha but is afraid she'll find out, and attempts to kill Akiha by knocking her off two stories from the roof. Akiha survives due to her super-human abilities and Tsukasa comes in the night to kill her with a knife, but Akiha yet again survives and knocks out Tsukasa. By the end of the story, Akiha is informed that Ciel saved Shiki Tohno from death and that he'd return by the end of the year. Akiha dedicates herself to regrowing her black hair, which she shortened after a portion was cut by Tsukasa's knife.
- Crimson Moon
- A look at Arcueid's history as a True Ancestor, and her first fateful meeting with Roa. This story has Roa as the protagonist and shows him in less of an antagonistic light.
- Red Demon God
- The story of Shiki's father Kiri Nanaya. This story reveals much about the Nanaya family and the Demon Hunter's Association that they are connected with. Kiri Nanaya is at the end killed by Kishima Kouma, who is taking revenge for his parents deaths at the hands of Kiri Nanaya.
- Nanako-chan SOS
- Nanako (the spirit of the Seventh Holy Scripture) escapes from Ciel and hides out at Arihiko's place. This story has Arihiko as the protagonist and reveals how he and Shiki met in the past. Ciel ends up taking Nanako back by the end of the story.
- A parody of the horror game Otogirisō starring Shiki, Akiha, Hisui and Kohaku. With a cameo by The Dead.
- Flower of Thanatos
- Erotic story that takes place in an artificial dream world where Shiki, Kohaku and Hisui live in the isolated Tohno mansion.
- Hisui-chan, Inversion Impulse!
- Hisui goes insane with hilarious results. Based on Hisui's Good Ending.
- The Tohno Family Con Game
- Nearly the whole cast plays an elaborate game of tag for Kohaku's sake. Even the villains, major and minor take a part in it, with Kohaku using her assets and intelligence to win the game.
- The continued story of the girl that gets devoured in the park by Nrvnqsr Chaos in Tsukihime. She also holds Nrvnqsr's Reality Marble, Lair of the Beast King, allowing her to use his animals. The first part of the story misleadingly leads the reader to believe they are Shiki Tohno, until Arcueid suspects that the protagonist isn't Shiki. The girl ends up dying at the hands of Shiki Tohno, unaware of anything other than her nature as a vampire. She dies happily in her sister's arms.
- Summer Festivals
- Five short scenes in which Shiki takes either Arcueid, Ciel, Akiha, Hisui or Kohaku on a date to the summer festival.
- Drinking, Dreaming Moon
- This hidden story, unlocked after all other content in the game has been viewed, has Shiki meeting his adoptive brother SHIKI and discussing their relationship on friendly terms.
Each of Tsukihime's characters, including Shiki, Akiha, Ciel, Arcueid, Kohaku, Hisui, Nrvnqsr Chaos, and others, make appearances in Kagetsu Tohya.
While some of the following characters were briefly mentioned in Tsukihime, they appear with larger roles in Kagetsu Tohya:
- Len (レン Ren )
- Len is a former familiar under Arcueid's care, sometimes referred to as a succubus. She is not contracted to Arcueid, and is currently an independent existence. She can take the form of a pre-pubescent girl or a black cat. Her only appearance in Tsukihime is to grant Shiki a dream of a sexual encounter.
- Akira Seo (瀬尾 晶 Seo Akira )
- Akira is an underclassman of Akiha's. She has minor precognitive powers, and previously appeared on the Tsukihime PLUS-DISC.
- Souka Tsukihime (月姫 蒼香 Tsukihime Sōka )
- Akiha's roommate at her private school. Rather punkish. Shiki thinks she's a guy.
- Hanei Misawa (三澤 羽居 Misawa Hanei )
- Akiha's other roommate at her private school. Thinks slowly and strangely; conscientious, thorough and good at fixing things.
- Tsukasa Shijyou (四条 つかさ Shijyō Tsukasa )
- Another student at Akiha's school, appears in "A Story for the Evening". She is convinced she placed a curse on someone by mistake, or so she says.
- Seven 〔Nanako〕 (セブン〔ななこ〕 Sebun 〔Nanako〕 )
- The spirit of Ciel's most powerful weapon, Seventh Holy Scripture, who was offered as a willing sacrifice. She has the appearance of a little girl with some horselike features (for example hooves and a tail). Likes carrots.
- Kouma Kishima (軋間 紅摩 Kishima Kouma )
- A man who worked with Makihisa Tohno to attack the Nanaya clan. He fought Shiki's father Kiri Nanaya. Shiki's childhood memory caused his dream's manifestation of death to appear as Kouma. He is described as the perfect combination of human and demon blood, and possesses massive physical strength and speed, being able to crush trees with his bare hands. His nickname is Red Lion.