On January 20th, 2020, the 6,000th article was added to the SuccuWiki!
Incubus (Dungeons and Dragons)
An Incubus as depicted
in Dragon Magazine #353
|Type||Medium Outsider (Chaotic, Evil, Extraplaner, Tanari'ri)|
|Source books||Dragon Magazine #353|
Incubi are a type of Tanari'ri who prey on the life force of others in the Dungeons and Dragons role playing game. They are the male version of the Succubi found in Dungeons and Dragons, but are more violent and monstrous than the Succubi are. While Succubi focus on seduction and manipulation, Incubi tend to be more direct and forceful in their actions and generally do not hide themselves with glamors.
The version of the Incubus presented in this article is an officially recognized version of these beings which appeared in Dragon Magazine #353 as part of the The Demonomicon of Iggwilv: Malcanthet article by James Jacobs.
|“||This humanoid creature looks, for the most part, like a 20-year-old human male. His body has the tight, lean frame of a dancer, with pale and hairless skin, and he wears skintight black leather armor. His dead black eyes are narrowed in a predator's glare, his lips upturned in a sneer to reveal sharp teeth. Long twisted horns, almost like those of a gazelle, protrude from his brow, and his ears are pointed. His legs end in cloven hooves.||”|
The male counterpart to the far more common succubus, the Incubua is a physical manifestation of male sexuality given humanoid form, and the intelligence to act upon its destructive urges. Whereas Succubi seduce their victims, drawing them into their embrace with lies and honeyed whispers, Incubi see what they want and take it by force. They have no innate ability to mask their demonic forms, nor do they care to.
Their aggressive natures make them excellent soldiers and entire battalions of these violent demons train ceaselessly for war at Malcanthet's whim in the remote city of Istancian. In combat an Incubus fights with a wretched and sickening glee. They gang up on single targets, flanking foes so they can make sneak attacks or pile upon them to drain their will to live with their mind-numbing kisses.
Most incubi fight with a single longsword, often using the weapon in both hands to strike their foes. They can also gore victims with their horns and they particularly enjoy the feel of hot blood running down their faces.
As a whole, Incubi and Succubi do not tend to consort with one another. They find little to be attracted to in their opposite number as they cannot feed from one another and the consumption of mortals is more attractive by far to them. Malcanthet is the Queen of Incubi and there appears to be no Incubus King to claim that position in her realm. Her word is law to the Incubi and they will follow her orders to them without question or hesitation.
|Sub-Type||Chaotic, Evil, Extraplanar, Tanar'ri|
|Alignment||Always Chaotic Evil|
|Senses||Darkvision 60 ft.|
Listen +9, Spot +9
|Languages||Abyssal, Celestial, Draconic|
Tongues, Telepathy 100 ft.
|AC||17, Touch 11, Flat-Footed 16 (+1 Dex, +3 Armor,|
|hp||0 (4 HD)|
|DR||5/Cold Iron or Good|
|Resist||Acid 10, Cold 10, Fire 10|
|Melee||+1 1ongsword +9 (1d8+7(19-20) gore +3 (1d4+2)|
|Attack Options||Sneak Attack +2d6|
|Special Actions||Wisdom Damage, Summon Tanar'ri|
|Abilities||Str 18, Dex 13, Con 17, Int 14, Wis 13, Cha 20|
|Feats||Iron Will, Persuasive|
|Skills||Bluff +14, Concentration +10, Escape Artist +8,|
Hide +8, Intimidate +16, Listen +9, Move Silently +9,
Open Lock +8, Sense Motive +8, Spot +9, Tumble +8,
Use Rope +8
|Environment||Infinite Layers of the Abyss (Shendilavri)|
|Organization||Solitary, Pair, or Gang (3-8)|
|Treasure||+1 leather armor, +1 longsword,|
500 gp in miscellaneous jewelry
|Advancement||By Character Class|
|At Will||Charm Person (DC 16), Detect Good, Detect Thoughts (DC 17),|
Disguise Self (DC 16, no limit on duration)
|1/day||Modify Memory (DC 19)|
- Tongues (Su): An incubus has a permanent tongues ability (as the spell, caster level 12th). Incubi usually use verbal communication with mortals.
- Wisdom Damage (Su): An incubus drains Wisdom from a mortal he lures into some act of passion, or by simply planting a kiss on the victim. If the target is not willing to be kissed, the incubus must start a grapple, which provokes an attack of opportunity. The incubus's kiss deals 1d4 points of Wisdom damage. The kiss also has the effect of a suggestion spell, asking the victim to accept another kiss from the incubus. The victim must succeed on a DC 16 Will save to negate the effect of the suggestion. The save DC is Charisma-based.
- Summon Tanar'ri (Sp): Once per day an incubus can attempt to summon 1d4 dretches with a 60% chance of success. This ability is the equivalent of a 2nd-level spell.
- Incubus (Dungeons and Dragons 4e), a version for the 4th Edition of the Dungeons and Dragons role playing game.
- An alternative version of the Incubus for the fourth edition of Dungeons and Dragons
- Jacobs, James. "The Demonomicon of Iggwilv: Malcanthet." Dragon #353 (Paizo Publishing, 2007)