On January 20th, 2020, the 6,000th article was added to the SuccuWiki!
Darkstalkers Resurrection (Video Game)
|Developer(s)||Iron Galaxy Studios|
|Artist(s)||Stanley "Artgerm" Lau (character illustrations)|
|Release date(s)||NA March 12, 2013 (PS3)|
NA March 13, 2013 (X360)
|Media/Digital distribution||Download, disc (Japan)|
Darkstalkers Resurrection, known as Vampire Resurrection (ヴァンパイア リザレクション Vanpaia Rizarekushon ) in Japan, is an upcoming fighting game in the Darkstalkers series by Capcom. It is a compilation of Night Warriors: Darkstalkers' Revenge and Darkstalkers 3 and is currently under development by Iron Galaxy Studios. The update features HD visuals, online multiplayer, replay sharing, spectator mode, and in-game unlockables. The downloadable title will be released on the PlayStation Network and Xbox Live Arcade in early 2013. As in the previous games in this series, the succubi sisters Morrigan Aensland and Lilith Aensland appear as playable characters and foes.
Darkstalkers Resurrection features online play and other new enhancements in the same respect to Iron Galaxy Studios' previous Capcom arcade re-releases Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online Edition and Marvel vs. Capcom Origins. The game utilizes the GGPO netcode to provide smooth online gameplay. Matchmaking follows in the footsteps of Iron Galaxy Studios' earlier products and introduces additional options such as region matching and ping display. Aside from the standard ranked and player matches, Resurrection also includes an online tournament mode. The game adds HD filtering with multiple viewing options, YouTube replay uploads, eight-player lobbies and a tutorial mode which provides in-depth tips to the mechanics of the game. Players who complete in-game challenges receive points which can be redeemed to unlock bonus content via the "Vault" system, including custom artwork by Imaginary Friends Studios] Stanley "Artgerm" Lau concept art, videos, and other rewards.
Darkstalkers Resurrection was announced by Capcom executive producer, Yoshinori Ono, during the Street Fighter 25th Anniversary panel at New York Comic-Con on October 11, 2012. According to Capcom USA senior vice president Christian Svensson, Resurrection had been in development for about a year before its announcement. When the time to decide whether Night Warriors: Darkstalkers' Revenge or Darkstalkers 3 would receive the HD treatment arrived during planning cycles, Resurrection producer Derek Neal revealed that his team was "agonizing over which to release." Due to the divide in the community's preference between the two titles, Capcom opted to release both instead as a dual pack. Neal stated that games would be left unchanged in terms of balance and priority with the intention of remaining faithful to the original arcade versions.
Darkstalkers Resurrection was scheduled to be released between March 12–14 in North America, Europe and Japan. On March 14, the day of the game's regional release, two tie-in books were published in Japan: the manga collection Vampire Resurrection Official Anthology Comic (ヴァンパイア リザレクション オフィシャルアンソロジーコミック, Vanpaia Rizarekushon Ofisharu Ansorojī Komikku) and the art book Vampire Artworks (ヴァンパイア アートワークス, Vanpaia Ātowākusu), featuring works of Capcom's Japanese artists.
|GameRankings||82.38% (PS3) |
|Metacritic||82/100 (X360) |
|Electronic Gaming Monthly||8/10|
|Official Xbox Magazine||8/10|
|Official Xbox Magazine||8/10|
Darkstalkers Resurrection received univerally positive reviews, resulting in the averaged ratings of more than 80% at both GameRankings and Metacritic for both platforms. However, Svensson announced that that while the game had appeared in digital bestseller top ten lists, it has not managed to sell enough copies to be considered commercially successful.
- Mallory, Jordan (2012-10-11). "Capcom announces Darkstalkers Resurrection at NYCC". Joystiq. http://www.joystiq.com/2012/10/11/capcom-announces-darkstalkers-resurrection-at-nycc/. Retrieved 2012-10-12.
- Sahdev, Ishaan (2012-11-26). "Darkstalkers Resurrection Delayed To March". Siliconera. http://www.siliconera.com/2012/11/26/darkstalkers-resurrection-delayed-to-march/. Retrieved 2012-11-27.
- Yip, Spencer (2012-10-21). "Capcom Confirms Darkstalkers Resurrection Will Be Released In Japan". Siliconera. http://www.siliconera.com/2012/10/21/capcom-confirms-darkstalkers-resurrection-will-be-released-in-japan/. Retrieved 2012-10-21.
- Robinson, Andy (2012-10-12). "Capcom unveils new Darkstalkers for XBLA, PSN". CVG. http://www.computerandvideogames.com/372761/capcom-unveils-new-darkstalkers-for-xbla-psn/. Retrieved 2012-10-15.
- Elston, Brett (2012-10-11). "Darkstalkers Resurrection coming to XBLA, PSN in 2013". Capcom-Unity. http://www.capcom-unity.com/brelston/blog/2012/10/11/darkstalkers-resurrection-coming-to-xbla-psn-in-2013. Retrieved 2012-10-12.
- Crecente, Brian (2012-10-11). "'Darkstalkers Resurrection' bundle brings back second and third franchise titles". The Verge. http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/10/11/3490410/capcom-unveils-new-old-darkstalkers-game. Retrieved 2012-10-12.
- Araujo, Yuri (2012-11-23). "More updates on the SFXTK Ver. 2013 balance tweaks + Darkstalkers Resurrection". Capcom-Unity. http://www.capcom-unity.com/dubindoh/blog/2012/11/23/more-updates-on-the-sfxtk-ver-2013-balance-tweaks-darkstalkers-resurrection. Retrieved 2012-11-27.
- Crecente, Brian (2012-10-14). "'Darkstalkers Resurrection' is a nuanced tribute to fans of an arcade classic". The Verge. http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/10/14/3498978/darkstalkers-resurrection-is-a-nuanced-tribute-to-fans-of-an-arcade. Retrieved 2012-10-15.
- Clements, Ryan (2012-10-11). "NYCC: Darkstalkers is Back". IGN. http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10/11/nycc-darkstalkers-is-back. Retrieved 2012-10-16.
- Sahdev, Ishaan (2012-10-15). "Darkstalkers Resurrection Has Been In Development For A Year". Siliconera. http://www.siliconera.com/2012/10/15/darkstalkers-resurrection-has-been-in-development-for-a-year/. Retrieved 2012-10-15.
- Matulich, Chris (2012-10-11). "A Return to Form in Darkstalkers: Resurrection - Preview". GamrReview. http://www.gamrreview.com/preview/89414/a-return-to-form-in-darkstalkers-resurrection. Retrieved 2012-10-16.
- Vampire Resurrection Official Anthology Comic at E-Capcom shop.
- Vampire Artworks at E-Capcom shop.
- "Darkstalkers Resurrection for PlayStation 3". GameRankings. 2013-03-12. http://www.gamerankings.com/ps3/686410-darkstalkers-resurrection/index.html. Retrieved 2013-07-20.
- "Darkstalkers Resurrection for Xbox 360". GameRankings. 2013-03-13. http://www.gamerankings.com/xbox360/686409-darkstalkers-resurrection/index.html. Retrieved 2013-07-20.
- "Darkstalkers Resurrection for Xbox 360 Reviews". Metacritic. 2013-03-13. http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/darkstalkers-resurrection. Retrieved 2013-07-20.
- "Darkstalkers Resurrection for PlayStation 3 Reviews". Metacritic. 2013-03-12. http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/darkstalkers-resurrection. Retrieved 2013-07-20.
- "EGM Review: Darkstalkers Resurrection". EGMNOW. 2013-03-15. http://www.egmnow.com/articles/reviews/egm-review-darkstalkers-resurrection/. Retrieved 2013-07-20.
- Edwards, Matt (2013-03-12). "Darkstalkers Resurrection review • Reviews • PlayStation 3 •". Eurogamer.net. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-03-12-darkstalkers-resurrection-review. Retrieved 2013-07-20.
- "Darkstalkers Resurrection Review". Gamerevolution.com. 2013-03-18. http://www.gamerevolution.com/review/darkstalkers-resurrection. Retrieved 2013-07-20.
- "Darkstalkers Resurrection Review". GameSpot.com. 2013-03-13. http://www.gamespot.com/darkstalkers-resurrection/reviews/darkstalkers-resurrection-review-6405430/. Retrieved 2013-07-20.
- Vince Ingenito 29 Mar 2013 (2013-03-29). "Darkstalkers Resurrection Review - IGN". Uk.ign.com. http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/03/29/darkstalkers-resurrection-review. Retrieved 2013-07-20.
- "Official XBOX Magazine | Darkstalkers Resurrection review". Oxmonline.com. 2013-03-13. http://www.oxmonline.com/darkstalkers-resurrection-review. Retrieved 2013-07-20.
- "Xbox Live Arcade Review: Darkstalkers Resurrection Review - Xbox 360 - The Official Magazine". Oxm.co.uk. http://www.oxm.co.uk/51135/reviews/darkstalkers-resurrection-review/. Retrieved 2013-07-20.
- "Darkstalkers Resurrection fails to meet Capcom sales targets". GameSpot.com. 2013-03-13. http://www.gamespot.com/news/darkstalkers-resurrection-fails-to-meet-capcom-sales-targets-6406806. Retrieved 2013-07-20.